In this blog, we will learn how to use prebuild Business Card Reader AI model components in Power Apps. Power Apps empowered with AI Builder provide simplified solutions without extensive programming knowledge.
Add AI Builder components
1. Components that use prebuilt AI models that are ready to use right away:
2. Components that use custom AI models that you build and train:
The AI Builder components for canvas apps are available in Power Apps Studio and appear on the Insert tab when you build your canvas app.
Use the AI Builder business card reader component to detect business cards and extract their information. You can take photos directly in the component or load images.
If a business card is detected, the business card reader will extract information that it finds based on the following properties.
|Post office box
|The first phone or fax number
|The image after processing, where the business card appears cropped and enhanced from the original image
|The contact’s email address, if any
|The third phone or fax number
|The contact’s first name
|The contact’s full address
|The contact’s full name
|The contact’s job title
|The contact’s last name
|Second phone or fax number
|The original image, before processing
1. Once you log in to Power Apps, create a blank canvas app.
2. Click Insert -> AI Builder (preview) -> select Business card reader
3. Adjust the card to fit into the screen.
There is another way to add a business card reader. From Power Apps, select the AI Builder on the left pane -> Select Explore -> Click on Business Card Reader. This will automatically add the Business Card Reader to the app.
4. You can now place fields you would like to extract from the business card.
For example, I have retrieved the Name, Email, Phone, Address, and website from the card.
Below is the formula to get information:
In the same way, you can use any properties mentioned in the above table to get info from the card.
5. Now test the App by scanning a Business Card.
6. Play the app and click Scan business card and upload a business card from your computer. We are uploading a business card from the computer for testing on the browser however once the app is published, you can use your phone camera to take a picture of the business card instead of uploading a card from your computer.
7. Below is the result of scanning a sample image. You can see extracted data in text fields.
Next, you can save these extracted details to the SharePoint list for further use.
We hope you found this blog helpful. If you would like to learn more about Canvas Power Apps or any of our other products and services, please contact us today.